Thursday, March 25, 2010

Traveling to/Living in New York City

My co-worker just got back from a week-long vacation in New York City. Before she left she asked me about the city and what she should do. I didn't really know what to tell her, because living there is a lot different than visiting there for a week. Still, I gave her my ideas of the best touristy things to do in the city, which really weren't any different than what a tour book would tell you: Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Central Park, Times Square, subway. Yes, all these things are New York City, but they're not "the city." (except the subway, which my co-worker raved about, which made me all happy inside). And while I did all those things when I lived there, it was the small things of buying groceries, going to church, getting ice cream, parties at friends' houses, getting caught in the rain, talking with my roommates, that really made it great for me.

As she talked about it, I got a little nostalgic for it. Ah, the wonderful thing that is New York City. So much of who I am was discovered there and I have a deep sort of reverence for it. My goal now is to finish up school, get a Master's Degree, and make my way out east again. My body, soul, and mind yearn to be in a big city where cars are not necessary and public transportation is essential, where walking is convenient and welcome, and there are millions of people to pass by on the street. So yep, I'm just being patient and working hard and someday it'll happen.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com