Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Car Anxiety

Last Saturday I bought a car, and all last week it sat up in Brigham City (where I bought it) in front of my dad's house as a few things were worked out. Friday I went to pick it up. Momentous, yes. Terrifying, a little. You see, this cute little Honda Accord that I paid cash for and was everything I was looking for and was really an answer to my prayers, is a stick shift. I believe some people call them five speeds. Or manuals. Whatever the moniker, it is still something I have not really learned how to do.

So while I had originally had a post all ready in my head about finding my car and how exciting it was and how everything really did work out quite amazingly, that was before I struggled with driving. A lot of my excitement was replaced by sheer anxiety and nervousness about getting in my car and having to operate all the parts--clutch, gas, brake, blinker, turn signal, windshield wipers. I still have not perfected the stick-shift driving, and driving with me can be quite the herky-jerky experience.

I know it well get easier and get to a point where it'll be like second nature. I sure hope that time comes sooner rather than later, because I'm not sure my little car (which I affectionately named Afton after my grandma who is old and still kickin', just like my car) can take much more of my gross ineffectiveness. So until I get to that point, I will not post any pictures or tell my story about how I got it, because I need to get to the point where I don't have bad feelings about my car. I'm kidding just a little, but still please pray for me and my little car to make it, because at this point the bus is looking like a much better option.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting a car! Stop thinking about driving a stick shift and just "feel" it. You WILL get used to it!!!!

pambelina said...

We can go out and practice anytime you want!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com