Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sunset in the Cloisters

I went for a walk in the Cloisters tonight so I could catch the sun setting over the Hudson River, New Jersey and the George Washington Bridge. It was SO beautiful and a really peaceful night. The weather is so perfect right now in the city that I feel I have to take advantage of every opportunity I can to be outside.



The Cloisters, if I remember correctly, is a structure in Fort Tryon Park that was built in Spain and shipped over here for someone important. Or so I think. I could just be making that up, but I'm pretty sure it's something similar to that. Anyway, the Cloisters itself were closed by the time I got there so I couldn't walk around or go up in the tower, so I just walked around the grounds. There are a couple places around it designated at Quiet Zones and I saw a few people picnicing on the lawn.



Since the museum was closed I settled myself down on a bench with a great view of the George Washington Bridge spanning the Hudson River to New Jersey. When I arrived in New York this was the bridge I came in on. I wanted to see the sun set, as it's something I rarely get to see in the city with all the tall buildings. I miss just driving in my car down 4100 South and seeing the sun set over the Oquirrh Mountains, turning the whole sky pink and purple. The sunset this night wasn't amazing in the sense that it lit up the whole sky, but it was beautiful and lovely to just sit in a park and watch it. Here's the sky throughout the night.




As I sat there I read an E.B. White (he wrote Charlotte's Web) essay titled Here is New York and it was amazing that things he wrote about the city, in 1948, or still so true today. He completely captured the essence and feel and energy of New York in every word. I plan on posting some of my favorite quotes, but I also recommend any one who wants to really get New York read the entire thing.

This was me trying to take a picture of me reading.


And this is me trying to get a picture at night without using the flash.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com