Monday, September 1, 2008

I Wanna Wake-up in a City That Never Sleeps...

It's really been a whole year. It was Labor Day 2007 that I arrived in New York City with a truck full of my stuff and big dreams for my future. Man, was I excited, nervous, scared, enthused, shocked, unsure, and totally ready for my New York experience. I'll never forget my first day in the city and how new and different everything felt. I remember being totally lost and confused when I was above ground, and not much better when I was below on the subway. I wondered if I would ever get used to my new home. And now, when I walk the streets and ride the subway, I'm always amazed at how much has changed in a year. I ride the subway like a pro, I understand the streets and can figure out which way I'm pointed when I get out of the subway (well, usually; there are still some stops that I get totally confused at. Just look for the Empire State Building and from there I can figure out which way I'm walking). The city just feels so different now than it did a year ago; I actually feel comfortable in it. And if someone asks me for directions, I can usually send them in the right direction.

Tonight the city must've known it was our anniversary and decided to get me something. I arrived at Penn Station a little late and more than ready to just get home. I was able to get right onto a 3 train (with just a little bit of running up the stairs) and then got onto a waiting 1 train at 96th street. This almost never happens, as either the 1 train is just pulling away or I have to wait a really long time for it. And it was after 11:30, when the trains are usually running a lot less frequently. So thanks for my present, New York.

"I wanna be a part of it, New York. And find I'm King of the Hill, Top of the Heap.....These little town blues are melting away..... I'm gonna make a brand new start of it, in Ol' New York! If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere! It's up to you New York! New Yoooooork!"

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com