Saturday, September 6, 2008

Do you want some rain with that rain?

Hanna has hit New York. It was all anybody could talk abut yesterday and all morning today. "Did you hear it's gonna rain like crazy tomorrow?" "Yeah, good thing I got an umbrella." So maybe it wasn't all we talked about, but it was definitely a part of a lot of conversations. I planned ahead this morning, not bothering to condition my hair or do too much with it because the humidity and rain would just end up ruining it.

The calm before the storm was actually worse than the actual rain. Do you know how humid and muggy it was this morning? It was actually hard to breath. And the subway platform? A literal sauna. My clothes were moist and soggy before even doing anything. After being here a year, my body still has not adjusted to the humidity.

I was luckily at work and indoors when it really started coming down. It was crazy and intense and deserving of the word torrential! It was fun to watch all the people on fifth avenue walking by, some with umbrellas and the unfortunate few who did not. But after awhile the streets became dead and traffic lessened and the tourist buses that are usually full of people taking pictures was left with the one poor couple in ponchos who had decided they were still going to get their money's worth.

And rain in New York in summer is not like rain I've experienced anywhere else. It's like taking a hot shower--but not in a refreshing way. It's utterly awful and makes the city this huge wet, soggy mess. All the subways are puddly and dripping and it's a feat of cat-like abilities to make your way through it all.

It was still raining when I left the Crew, and even though I had prepared ahead by bringing an umbrella, I did not wear my rain boots. So even though my shoes and socks, and therefore feet, were wet, my hair stayed perfectly perfect with my handy-dandy, brand-new bubble umbrella. Money well-spent....and gifted.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com