Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Running Again

I used to be a runner. I use the term rather loosely, as it's really just fast walking. But I've done it enough to at least have a few posts under the tag "running" here on my blog. It started with my first 5K in 2006, when I had grand visions of eventually working my way up to a marathon. Well, ten years later I've done multiple 5Ks and one 10K. However, I've never become a "runner".

I thought I would become one, though, when a Wednesday night social run popped up right next door to me. I walked by that first week and thought, "Yeah, I'm totally going to do this!" Week by week I'd walk by the guy putting up the signs as I made my way home from work. And each week passed with me never participating.

My co-worker and I have been sharing workouts since we started a GRIT 29 Day Challenge in February, and continue with the GRIT classes in March and April. We wanted to continue being active, so we decided to start going to the Wednesday night social run (which was fitting because today is National Start Walking Day, which we celebrate at the City with all employees getting a t-shirt and doing a 1-mile walk; it's one of my favorite days). 

My last run, according to my Nike Running app, was 40 weeks ago.I thought I would be terrible, but it helped to have a buddy to run with. She walked when I wanted to walk and stayed with me the whole time. We finished at a good time, considering the large gap in time between running stints.

We'll do it again next week.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com