Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Double Indemnity

My local Cinemark theater is participating in the TCM screenings of classics on the big screen. So far I've seen The Sound of Music and Jaws. This past Monday it was Double Indemnity, the Billy Wilder film noir classic. It almost wrote the book on film noir and femme fatales.

I was telling my boss about this when he asked me if I had seen any good films lately. He didn't know what a femme fatale was, or really even film noir. And I fear I did a less than adequate job at explaining them. If you want to know, you can look them up on Wikipedia (I sent my boss the links to both those entries).

Or you could just watch Double Indemnity. Barbara Stanwyck is THE femme fatale.

I'll admit that I didn't really know what this film was about before seeing it. Which I guess is sort of nice. It lets me enjoy without lots of expectations.

It definitely deserves the title of "classic". I only with it had won Best Picture (it was nominated but lost to Going My Way starring Bing Crosby) so I could mark it off my list for 35 by 35.

I'm looking forward to the next round of classics to be announced.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com