Sunday, May 10, 2015

My First Tornado Siren

I have always wondered if I would know a tornado siren was going off. Would it be loud enough? And would I know that it was the tornado siren and not something else?

That siren went off today around 2:30 pm. And at first I didn't realize it. I recognized the sound of police and fire sirens, which had started just moments before. The weather was really picking up but didn't seem any different than the thunderstorms we'd had all week long.

The rain and wind was getting pretty intense, and I realized that I WAS hearing the tornado sirens. I started to panic a bit. I grabbed Biscuit's cardboard carrier out of the closet and put her in it. But then I didn't know where to go. If I had been anywhere else (except maybe on the freeway) I would have known what to do. I couldn't remember the rental company ever telling me where to go in the event of severe weather.

I decided to turn the tv on and see what was going on. Yes, there was definitely a Tornado Warning in effect until 3 pm. The weather map showed a mass of red and purple making its way through Denton. The meteorologist then said, "This is coming right through Denton. If you are in one of the dorms at UNT, make your way to the basement."

I don't have a basement. I live on the third floor. I was panicking.I called the maintenance number but no one answered.

So I called my mom. I frantically told her the sirens had gone off and I didn't know where to go. The connection was bad (obviously, a tornado was afoot) and I lost her. I grabbed the cardboard carrier Biscuit was in and a book and headed to the bottom floor stairwell. While walking down the stairs the emergency alert went off my phone: Tornado Warning - seek shelter.

As we sat there, my mom called me back. I told her I was now in the stairwell. We talked for a bit, but Biscuit was getting pretty loud in her carrier. She wanted out. It was getting close to 3pm, and it seemed like the worst part was over. I decided to go back to my apartment and see what the news was saying.

The tornado had passed. I don't think a tornado actually touched down in Denton. But there damage nonetheless. I took a walk around the Square and passed upturned baby trees newly planted on Hickory St and tree branches littering the courthouse lawn.

It was a crazy afternoon. After clawing her way out of the carrier, Biscuit has been laying around unphased by it all.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com