Thursday, May 7, 2015

Keep Those Things Away From Me...And Dry

A couple weeks ago I was in a meeting for a group planning an event that was intended to raise money for a good cause. To raise money the group would host a Dunking Booth and anyone who wanted to dunk the person in the seat would have to pay money. The point is to get people well-known in the organization that people would gladly pay a few dollars to see dunked.

Names were being thrown around. But before too long, the organizer mentioned that, for obvious reasons, it was best not to have females included in the list. You know, because we don't want the event turning into a wet t-shirt contest.

I sat there and was annoyed. Then I was mad. Women couldn't participate for the sheer fact of being women and having breasts. And that people would look at those breasts when behind a wet t-shirt. I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a wet t-shirt for people to notice breasts. And really, it's not like the plan was to put these ladies in tight white shirts and have them prance around in front of everyone while we judged who looked the best.

The point was to make money for an organization that does good things.

I don't know if anyone else was uncomfortable like me. If I was more articulate maybe I would have spoken up. Maybe if I had unleashed my inner sassy-pants I could have mentioned that plenty of men have large breasts too, but that's not stopping them from participating. Or that men also have anatomy and maybe I don't want to see a wet pants contest.

I dislike the focus on our bodies. Yes, women have breasts. But they also have arms and legs and ears and armpits and MINDS. Let's not automatically disqualify them because they have breasts.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com