Saturday, October 19, 2013

Your Favorite Book Book Club

When I left Salt Lake I left behind a book club that I loved. To sort of get that going again, but without the hassle of recruiting members and picking a book and then feeling guilty for not reading the book, I decided to have a "book club" where everyone would bring their favorite book. I also wanted a chance to have people over to my loft.

Last night my friends descended and we all shared our books. Some people didn't have their actual favorite (many of my friends are students at KU so they don't have all their belongings with them), but brought a book that they liked anyway. Here's what everyone brought:
  • Me: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (I shared a lengthy introduction on why I loved this novel and Jane and Mr. Rochester, relating how I bought it in highschool but didn't really read it until I lived in New York.)
  • Andrew: Locked On by Tom Clancy (follows the story of Jack Ryan's son, Jack Ryan, Jr.)
  • Janae: A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park (a true story)
  • Aaron: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (a classic, but no one else had read it)
  • Will, brought a bag of books to share, a few of them: Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky, The Natural by Bernard Malamud, A Separate Peace by John Knowles (this is the one he decided to share an excerpt from)
  • Paige: Elephants on Acid & Other Bizarre Experiements by Alex Boese
  • Tomas: Times Alone: Selected Poems of Antonio Machado (he read a poem to us in English and Spanish)
  • Steven: Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (the book is crazy but a fun read)
  • Emma: Silas Marner by George Eliot (I've never heard of this book) and, for fun Flirting 101 which we all had fun with
  • Sherri:  The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder (she's visited the home of Ma and Pa in South Dakota and shared pictures)
  • Jessica: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (the most political book of the night, although we steered clear of political discussion)
  • Kate: Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (she read it aloud to us librarian-style; it was a perfect book to end on
 

 

Also, upon first seeing Biscuit everyone exclaimed how large she is! Yeah, she's fat and I love her.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com