Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Meeting My Neighbor

Sunday evening I had just gotten a plate of food together and sat down to watch Game 6 when there was an urgent knock on my door. I wasn't expecting anyone, so I had no idea who would be knocking. I opened the door to see my neighbor who at this point I've only had conversations with on the back steps as I get ready to go for a jog and he was having a smoke. He asked me if I had an orange cat that was missing.

Right then Biscuit came running into the doorway and into our loft. Earlier I had burned something in the oven (wax paper is not the same as parchment paper), and to make sure my smoke alarm didn't go off I hurriedly propped open my front door. Not once did I even think about Biscuit getting out.

With Biscuit back home safely, I stepped out into the hallway to chat with the neighbor who had knocked on my door and my neighbor directly next-door to me. Without even thinking, I let the door close behind me, locking me out. It was like a scene out of a sitcom. Except no wacky hijinks to get me back in or romantic tension with my neighbor (he's recently been married, well, and he's gay). I really just felt like a dork for letting the door close and getting locked out. I was just glad I had turned the oven off!

My neighbor, Joey, let me use his phone to call the owner and let me hang in his loft while we waited for him to arrive with a spare key. And when I said I was from Utah, I immediately was asked if I was Mormon. I don't know if co-workers think it's impolite to ask, but I've only been asked twice and it has been by strangers that I randomly met.

I enjoyed getting to know my super cool neighbors, and I hope Biscuit enjoyed her brief journey into the hallways. Which is essentially a whole new world for her. I lately had been wondering if she got bored with the four walls of her home. But the way she rushed back in, I think she's just fine. All she does is sleep anyway.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com