Monday, August 9, 2010

Test Freak-Out

I am taking the GRE next Monday afternoon, and I am slightly freaking out about it. When I registered six weeks ago, the date seemed so far away that I was sure by the time it came I would be ready. But with Stats (and other things) taking over my life I never really hunkered down and studied for the GRE. Until now, when I have one week to do so. And I still can't hunker down.

All of a sudden I need to take a nap, or organize my room, or go to Jimmy John's for a BLT, or read a book, or take another nap. And when I do finally hunker down for an hour or so and take some practice sets, I get super discouraged because I've missed half of the questions. I do not think missing half of the questions on the actual GRE will get me accepted.

What really frustrates me is the idea that this test is an accurate gauge of whether or not I can do graduate school. Does it really matter if I can write an essay in 60 minutes, or if I know the antonym of enervate, or if I can figure out the area of circle within a rectangle? They all seem a bit arbitrary to me, and not in the least indicative of what I'm actually capable of. The real world is not a standardized test.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com