Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Oscars: Best Pic Nominees

Of the nine films up for Best Picture at this year's Academy Awards I have seen seven of them. I wrote reviews for six of those films (I finished the Draft I started for Arrival  months ago today!)


Here are the film in the order I saw them, with a link to my review: 
Hell or High Water - no review for this film, which I saw in October (well before Oscar talk) after reading a good review and having it recommended to me by two people. I didn't care for this film, and that it has gained Oscar attention sort of surprises me. 
Arrival - a good, thoughtful sci-fi film
La La Land - an unabashedly romantic film that I saw twice
Manchester by the Sea - a beautiful, sad film that I saw right at the height of its Oscar talk. It was the front-runner before La La Land was released and took over
Moonlight - a moving film; while I'm glad the film has been recognized, I wish the three actors playing Chiron over the years had been recognized. All are powerful and distinct, and yet clearly the same character. 
Hidden Figures - this year's crowd-pleaser nominee, worthy of the nomination
Lion - heartbreaking story about family and home

I had no desire to see Hacksaw Ridge when the trailers came out (I found it interesting that its first trailer made no mention of Mel Gibson, just referenced the director of Passion of the Christ). A Best Pic nom still didn't sway me. I was on the fence about Fences, and a nomination normally would have pushed me over the fence. But it was never playing in Denton so I just never got around to it. 

My personal favorite is La La Land, but I had a deep reaction to Manchester by the Sea and it was my favorite before I saw La La Land. Manchester is one of those high-pedigree Oscar-type films that in another year might have been the front-runner. The way front-runner status changes throughout an award season is strange and ineffable. I'd essentially be cool if any of the films won - I just like celebrating film for a night! 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com