Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Occupational Hazard

When I'm in meetings for work, I very often have people come up to me afterward to tell me about a something they saw a person on their bike doing. It generally involves something illegal or crazy or stupid. "You know, I was driving the other day and there was a cyclist riding the wrong way on a one-way street." "Yesterday I was driving and this cyclist didn't stop at a stop sign and I nearly hit them."

I'm never quite sure how to respond to these statements. It feels like I'm being held personally responsible for all the people who ride bikes in Denton, but especially for those who make poor choices. Acceptance of my job and what I'm doing is still difficult sometimes. So when people make these statements it feels like they are trying to discredit my work and all that I do. That feeling sucks. I don't have a thick skin so I take this very personally.

Sometimes I respond in a way that I hope will get them thinking - "Yeah, you know, sometimes people in cars also don't follow the rules and do crazy things." They don't really have a response for that. Most times, though, I just look at them and say, "Yeah, that's crazy." I'm not sure what they expect me to say. Are they looking for validation? Or to invalidate me and all bicyclists?

No one tells me stories about seeing a person on their bike following all the rules! "Hey Julie, yesterday I was behind this cyclist and they acted just like a car. Stopped at stop signs and everything. Way to go!"

I'm sure this happens to people in other professions, too. Nurses and doctors getting asked about ailments. Finance people getting asked about financial stuff. Here's a tip - people are more than their jobs. Ask them about other things. And don't demean someone else's work just because you don't "get it".

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com