Saturday, January 14, 2012

Planners vs. Engineers

This semester I am taking a class in Civil Engineering to get a different viewpoint of transportation planning and posit myself as a more viable hire when I graduate. Planners like to talk a lot, but it's the engineers that actually make stuff. My transportation class last semester was a lot of history of transportation in the United States, the various bodies that work on transportation planning, and lots of ideas about how better transportation options can improve quality of life and the environment. I loved it and learned a lot.

My engineering class is a complete 180 change. There were no introductions on the first day where you state your major and something interesting about yourself. The teacher just jumped right into it. We don't talk about people, but figure things out through numbers and formulas. Everyone has a PC instead of a Mac. I hope I come to love it and learn a lot.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com