Thursday, June 24, 2010

Backstreet's Back!

Last night, Lindsay-loo and I took a time machine back to high school. Well, not quite, but we did hop in my car and drive downtown to catch a Backstreet Boys concert!

In junior high and high school, Lindsay was in LOVE with the Backstreet Boys. She went to one of their concerts when they were at the peak of their popularity and claimed, for many years after, that it was the best night of her life! So when I heard they were coming to Salt Lake for another tour (albeit waaaaay past their peak), I promptly bought us tickets.

Watching the Boys dance out on stage, singing, "Backstreet's Back, Alright!" was a little surreal. And kinda weird. These guys are grown men, with wives and children (and receding hairlines), singing their hits from at least ten years ago about love and all that teenybopper stuff I loved so much back in the day. I must admit that my older self doesn't feel the same sort of connection to their pop songs.



They're short one of their original members, Lindsay's favorite, Kevin, while my favorite (back in the day, because everyone had to have a favorite) was Brian. Yeah, back in the day I liked blondes. Even with one less member, they sang all their hits, even my favorite, "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely." They also found the time to have five costume changes. It felt oddly like it should've been a stage show in Vegas.

Regardless, it was fun to hang out with Lindsay and relive our youth and high school days.

My final take: the Backstreet Boys, while decent singers and dancers, I think benefit from the slick production they knew as popstars and work better on cd or in a video, as their singing was stifled by the live-ness of the event and sounded a little weak.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw them at their peak at the then Delta Center with my then boyfriend Tony and there were thousands of prepubescent girls screaming all around us. I was in the Workers Compensation Suite for free so I guess I can't complain too much but I didn't quite get the appeal!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com