Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Low-Key New Year's Eve

Besides having to go into work on a day off to get some samples out for end-of-quarter numbers, I had no plans for New Year's Eve. Sometimes it seems like a silly holiday, because regardless of whether you stay up late to watch the ball drop in Times Square, go to a party with a bunch of friends/strangers, get really drunk, or go to bed at ten, the New Year will come and the next day will be a new year. To quote Ted from How I Met Your Mother (who I sometimes think is me but a boy), New Year's Eve always looks great on tv but in reality it sucks and is always just a big let down (I scoured youtube for a clip of this but couldn't find one, so you'll just have to take my word for it; or, better yet, borrow my season 1 DVDs and you can see for yourself how hilarious it is). You always feel like you should have some sort of plans and yet it never turns out as fun as you hoped/expected it to be.

So this year, not wanting to go to a party and have to endure idle small chat with people I'd never see again, or try to find that perfect evening, I decided to embrace Ted's attitude and be
ultra low-key. I grabbed a burger and fries at Smashburger to go, then came home and settled into Season 2 of Mad Men that I got from the library. I didn't even know when midnight hit.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great day to me! :)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com