Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Defying Gravity

It was two years ago today, September 1st, that I arrived in the bustling city of New York and made it my home. I can remember everything from that day. I remember driving on the New Jersey Turnpike and seeing the buildings of New York just across the river. I remember all the traffic and standstill that accompanied our ascent onto the George Washington Bridge. I remember driving through my new neighborhood and being a bit shocked--I wasn't in Utah or Idaho anymore.

I remember meeting Maria for the first time in the halls of our new place, as she had told me our apartment was 2D when it was actually 6D. I remember talking with Rosemary on the phone and hoping we would be able to coordinate the people helping us move in. I remember Maria saying that all three of us had red hair, which was fun even if only Rosemary's is authentic. I remember riding the elevator and unloading my Penske truck. I remember meeting Martha, Roseline, Elisabeth, and Marcus as they helped this stranger move her stuff in.

I remember seeing my new apartment for the first time, its looong hallway and wooden floors, its strange kitchen and even stranger shower set-up. I remember moving all my earthly belongings into my bedroom and the feeling of excitement that overcame me.

I remember walking the streets of the city for the first time on my way to my first New York City subway ride. I remember talking with Maria on the train and her telling me that she had no worries that I'd adapt just fine to the city. I remember coming out of the subway at 34th street and having all my senses on complete overload!

I remember eating at the Tick-Tock Diner with my mom and sister and having my first lovely taste of sweet potato fries. I remember making our way back to my apartment without the aid of Maria and figuring it all out just fine.

I remember going to church the next day and feeling like my mom, sister, and I stuck out like sore thumbs on Dyckman Street. I remember seeing my mom off on the bus headed to the airport as my sister and I headed downtown on the subway to explore the city. I remember being completely turned around and lost wherever we went. I remember running into a Brazilian festival in midtown and then going to the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square.

But what I remember most was this feeling of, "Wow! I really did it. I live in New York City!" I felt on top of the world and capable of doing and being anything. I remember riding the subway after my mom and sister had left, and having, "Defying Gravity,"play on my ipod; all of a sudden it became my anthem--I was defying gravity and everything else by being on that subway train in the middle of Manhattan. I'm listening to the song as I write this, and must admit that I got a bit emotional listening to the words and the inspiration they were to me two years ago:

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down..

I'm through accepting limits
'Cuz someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But 'till I try, I'll never know
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love - I guess I have lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost

I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
And you can't pull me down...

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately -
Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me -

Tell them how I
Am defying gravity!
I'm flying high
Defying gravity!
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!

Life sure is different two years later. I certainly didn't think I'd be sitting in the Marriott Library on the University of Utah campus. Sometimes it feels like a step backwards, and other times like I'm doing what I'm supposed to. But I know that when I'm sitting in my Intro to Transportation Planning class, despite missing New York, I feel like I can again defy gravity.

Anyone who still wants to know about the New York experience, read my friend's lovely blog, New York Minutes. She has a great way of capturing the idiosyncrasies and wonderfulness of living in the city.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com