Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Weekend in Salmon

My friend Nicki invited me up to her aunt's ranch in Salmon, ID last week. Here are some pictures from the four days in the mountains. And even though there are pictures of horses, and even one with me on a horse, I am in no way a cowgirl. I tried to get the horses I rode to listen to me but they sadly knew that they were the master.






































I was also able to participate in "piping," which is moving pipe to water the fields. I've never moved pipe before and there were little kids running circles around me! Apparently it's a tradition for the Barton family when they go up to the ranch to help with the pipe moving. I can definitely say that when I drive down the freeway and look out on the fields and the sprinklers watering them I'll look out on it with a different perspective.

Saturday was the Rodeo, where everyone (except me) participated in rodeo games such as barrels, rescue rider, flags, and toilet-paper (where two riders each hold one end of a line of toilet paper and have to ride down and back up without it breaking). I had a good time watching, cheering, and playing with the all the kids. I also got a pretty nice tan while standing there.

We also rode out on our horses and picked berries for jam. I guess I should mention that on the way home, as my horse decided to throw caution to the wind and gallop much faster than I wanted despite my repeated pulls on the reins, most of the berries fell out and were crushed between my thighs and the saddle. I eventually dropped the bucket when I decided I should be using that hand to hang on. While I walked back to the scene of the crime to pick up the lost bucket and berries, Nicki and her oh-so-adorable cousin Bridger were thrown off their horse, Banana. This was not a result of Nicki not knowing what she's doing on horse, because she is quite skilled, as are all the other kids, but a result of a few different factors that when put together ended with her and Bridger on the ground. Nicki and I each saw each other cry this weekend, therefore solidifying our friendship.

It was a great weekend of family, food, s'mores, sun, rain, kittens, work, playing, horses, dogs, berry picking, napping, cards, and enjoying the beautiful mountains. I love when I get the chance to experience all the different things that make this country so amazing. As much as I am a city girl and love being in big cities, there's also a part of me that wants to just stay up in the mountains forever. I find beauty in the crazy, crowded streets and skyscrapers of New York just as I do in the serene, open land and sky of the mountains.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com