Monday, April 14, 2008

I am a runner?

This morning I went for a run on the track at Riverside park. I use the term rather loosely, as I don't really run so much as jog; some might even call it a brisk walk. Maybe I should give myself more credit. My current plan of attack is this: running/jogging at a decent pace on the straightways and walking on the curves. A friend once told me this was a good thing to do to build stamina and strength, and since he was an actual runner who did marathons and everything, I have decided to try it. I don't think it should actually be the way you run every time, but for me it's working. If I can build the strength and stamina now then one day I'll be able to just run a 5K and finish in less than 30 minutes.
This Saturday is the Salt Lake City marathon, and for the past two years I've run the 5K associated with it. I'm super bummed I can't make it out this year to make it three in a row (scheduling conflicts that didn't get resolved until it was too late, darn!) so I've decided to make the best of it and run in Central Park that morning. Every year I tell myself I'm going to really train for it, and I even convinced myself in January that I could prepare for the half-marathon, the next tier up from the 5K. Then I'd really be a runner. But, as usual, I was all talk and no action and here I am in April and there's clearly no way I could run a half-marathon.
I think I'd like to use this blog as my running journal; maybe if I know other people are reading about it I'll be more determined to actually do it. We'll see. Spurts of motivation define my life, followed by periods of gross inactivity.
And that's what's goin' on!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com