Saturday, January 27, 2018

Three Billboards

Oscars noms were announced this week, bestowing Best Picture nominations to nine films. I have already seen seven of them, so that's good. The two remaining I have not been overly excited to see, but I crossed when off today - Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Even though I have lots of other events and movies to blog about that I'm pretty far behind on, I'm going to write about Three Billboards.

I actively disliked this movie.

I didn't care for any of the characters. It all felt very actor-y to me; I could tell everyone was acting. And it bothered me. I couldn't help but compare it to last year's Manchester by the Sea, a somewhat-similar film that is sad and dark (albeit I think Three Billboards is supposed to be somewhat of a dark comedy) but that never felt like everyone was acting.

The film looks fantastic though. Where director Martin McDonagh fails at actor-performances he shines at staging a scene to look really fantastic. So while I didn't care for the story on screen, it sure was pretty to look at. And to listen to. The film has excellent music choices, particularly the opera choices.

I'd give this film a very hard pass, and I truly hope it doesn't win Best Picture. I like Frances McDormand, but I don't think her work compares to the brilliant, subtle work of Sally Hawkins in The Shape of Water or even the frustratingly young character played by Saoirse Ronan in Ladybird Margo Robbie's brilliant turn as Tonya Harding. I'm actually surprised that Sam Rockwell has been singled out as the one to beat for the Supporting Actor race this year. His work felt hammy and over the top.

But all art is subjective.


0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com