Sunday, January 7, 2018

Molly's Game

In the story about a woman who went from almost going to the Olympics for skiing to running a poker game for celebrities and other rich people to being arrested by the FBI, one can't go wrong with Jessica Chastain (it feels like she's been the "it" girl for awhile and, despite Oscar nominations, I feel like she still hasn't really broken through; maybe I'm wrong), Idris Elba and the directing-debut of master screenwriter Aaron Sorkin.

The film, however, didn't entirely click with me. I love Sorkin as a screenwriter (The Social Network is one of my favorite films, Sports Night, The West Wing, A Few Good Men, The American President, Moneyball, Steve Jobs are all stellar), but I don't think he quite has what it takes (yet) to be a director. I feel like with a more experienced (or, better) director the film really would have popped. Instead, many of the scenes felt flat and some were staged awkwardly. The scene of one of the players lucking out into losing as one lucks into winning was truly suspenseful, and I give Sorkin props for that.

The actors are great (as Chastain and Elba always are) but, again, I feel that with a great director the performances could have really shined. Sorkin is great at dialogue, but I don't feel as if he knows how to coax his actors into delivering that dialogue in a truly great way.

The film also lost a little steam at the end, especially with Molly's father somehow randomly knowing she'd be at an ice-skating rink in NYC at night. It was laughable and I lost interest in their conversation pretty fast.

If you're a fan of of Sorkin, Chastain or Elba give this one a chance. Even if you're not, I'd still recommend the film even though it didn't entirely live up to it's potential. 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com