Sunday, January 29, 2017

It's Just Hair: Solidarity

In November two close friends were diagnosed with breast cancer. Both underwent surgery and have now started chemo. Chemo makes your hair fall out. Last night, my dear friend Denise had a head-shaving party. Because if you have to lose your hair because of cancer you might as well make it an event and have friends and family over to give you love and support. 

Denise was not alone in her head-shaving activity - she was joined by her daughters, husband, sons-in-law and friends. 
Denise with her daughter Ashley

I had had my hair cut earlier that morning, an appointment I had scheduled since December (I'm growing my hair out so I get regular trims). Later that night I decided to shave my head too. I have always sort of wondered what it would be like, and now was a great reason to actually do it. If Denise can go through the awfulness of cancer and all the side effects of chemo, and do it with courage and determination, then the least I can do is cut my hair to show my love and support. 

Justin, Ashley's husband, had hair longer than mine

The ladies who shaved - Hallie, Denise, Ashley, Brianna and me

My hairdresser told me it would only take three months for my hair to grow to a point where I could do something with it. At that point, I didn't think I was actually going to do it. We'll see how my hair looks in three months. Right now, it's incredibly freeing to not have hair to worry about (especially in the wind and when wearing a bike helmet). Also, it's incredibly cold. 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com