Monday, January 19, 2015

Peace Out Top City



When I moved out to Topeka my mom and oldest niece, Ivy, drove out with me. They were in Topeka for three days. They flew out on an evening flight out of Kansas City. As I hugged my niece and then mom goodbye, I was a bit overcome with emotion. It’s always a bit sad to be left behind as people you love leave. The drive back to Topeka was a quiet, reflective one. Every possible thought went through my mind: what was I doing in Kansas? Would I make friends? Had I made a mistake? Would it end up being a huge mistake? As these thoughts were tumbling around, I rounded the corner of the freeway and boom—there was Topeka lit up at night. I could see the Jayhawk Tower and the Westar Building and the BNSF building. It was beautiful. Due to the curves of the freeway and the City’s location, it was hidden from my view as I approached, and was only noticeable after turning a corner. 

Seeing Top City lit up like that made me feel good about everything. My two years in Top City were some of the best of my life. The people I met there changed my life.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com