Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Why Riding Your Bike is Better Than A Car

Tonight I needed to go to the store to return something and to pick up a prescription. Since it's Bike Month, and because it's not too hot and humid (just yet), I hopped on my bike and started the ride. As I rode on streets I don't normally travel, I saw neighborhoods, homes with kids playing in the front, pedestrians walking, and other bicyclists. And I really saw them, because instead of zipping by at 40+ miles in the confines of my car I was passing by at a leisurely pace on a personal level. I waved at other cyclists, we said "Good evening," to each other, and shared a moment.

Cars are certainly useful, and I'm glad I have one, but they're very isolating. You're usually by yourself, blocked off from other people by metal and glass. You don't wave or talk to other drivers. The destination is what's important. And sometimes that's important, but I don't think it always is.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com