Sunday, January 12, 2014

Inside Llewyn Davis

I love watching trailers because it's like shopping for movies. When I was in Salt Lake I went to the Broadway to see Philomena and saw the trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis. The trailer was full of folk music and starred a dude with a beard who carries around an orange cat (I have an orange cat). It was also set in New York City. Clearly I needed to see this movie.

Yesterday I made the short drive to Lawrence to see it at Liberty Hall. The movie did not disappoint. The Coen Brothers almost always make great films that are cinematic. They're always shot and staged with meticulous care. The characters are quirky but always relatable.

What I liked about the movie is that it wasn't bogged down in exposition. We're just plopped into Llewyn's life and figure things out as we go along. He's a folk singer who used to be part of a duo and is now trying his hand at a solo career. Sometimes he's unlikeable, but I find that in life people aren't always likeable; we have moments where we're intolerable. But he has his reasons, and he's trying his best to make his dreams come true. The person I found the most unlikeable was Jean, the female part of the duo Jean and Jim.

Llewyn ends up having to take care of an orange cat, and they take a ride on the subway from the Upper West Side to the Village. They take the 1 train and pass all the stops I used to pass myself when I'd take the 1 train to work--66th St, Columbus Circle, Penn Station, 23rd St, Chambers St. If  my cat had to be carried around for an extended period of time, it would be quite a chore because she weighs as much as a two-year old.

The movie also has small moments of hilarity that lighten the somewhat somber mood. And is also full of fabulous folk music. And beards. So that just added to why I loved it. :)

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com