Monday, December 17, 2012

The Hobbit

I wasn't planning on seeing The Hobbit. Maybe at the dollar theater months later, but certainly not on opening weekend (I love seeing movies on opening weekend). But when my awesome friend Pammy asked me if I wanted to see it with her and the equally awesome I said yes, mainly just to hang out with them.

Not quite sure why I wasn't excited to see it. Fellowship of the Ring was my favorite of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, with my liking of each successive film diminishing a bit (I haven't watched these movies in a long time, so maybe I need to rewatch them....). I think that's why I wasn't jazzed for The Hobbit. Also, I haven't the read (but I also didn't read Lord of the Rings).

So I went into the movie with pretty low expectations (which is good for me). And honestly, I didn't really like it. It was loooooong. I do not believe for one second that the exact same filmmaker who was able to make one excellent movie out of each book for The Lord of the Rings needed to make three  from one, much smaller book. The movie feels padded. Extremely. It takes a long time to get going, and then it doesn't even get interesting until Gollum appears. Which is near the end.

If you're a hardcore or even passing fan (basically if you read the book and liked it) then I think you'll probably like it. Although, when I told my brother, who is a pretty big fan (he went to a marathon viewing of of the trilogy last weekend) about the movie he was afraid that too many liberties would be taken and that it would feel stuffed. We'll see what he thinks once he sees it. 

And maybe I was just distracted from the horrible events that had happened earlier in Connecticut.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com