Monday, May 7, 2012

In Defense of Nicholas Sparks

Chick flicks in general get a lot of flack. Nicholas Sparks movies in particular get crapped on. The thing with a Nicholas Sparks movie is that you know what you're getting into when you buy the ticket. You know that there will be two people who eventually fall in love, their love will be tested, and along the way you'll probably cry. I know there's not going to be a chase scene, or something blown up, or objectifying of women (anyone who wants to see that can watch a Michael Bay flick).

I find this comforting. I like knowing what I'm going to get. I know it's not going to be massively epic, or on par with Spielberg (and even Spielberg makes movies that aren't so good), but I'll be entertained for two hours. And I'll get to see some eye candy.

Not everything can be the next classic, book or movie. Sometimes we just need entertainment. So I defend Nicholas Sparks (except for the film version of Nights in Rodanthe).

Disclaimer: I've only read one Nicholas Sparks book and am currently reading another.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com