Monday, July 5, 2010

Eclipse, Not As Bad As I Expected

Today, after my other plans all fell through, I decided to just bite the bullet and see the latest Twilight movie, Eclipse. After the dreadfulness that was the first one, I never bothered to see the second and my initial love of the series declined drastically. It seems weird to say that in the time since I first read Twilight I've changed a lot, because it was only three years ago, but I guess I have changed enough that my 27-year-old self views it much differently than my 24-year-old self did.

First, let me get my complaints with the movie out of the way. It is overly melodramatic. It is obvious that Bella is wearing a wig. The make-up is frighteningly bad. Lots of the acting is wooden and not good. None of these are huge deals, just minor cosmetic deficiencies that made it hard for me to concentrate.

Other complaints, that deal mostly with the characters themselves: if you've committed to marry someone, you should NOT be kissing someone else! Loving someone and wanting to protect them does not mean you should disable their truck to stop them from making their own choices.

But, lest you all think I'm a complete film snob, there were things I liked about the movie. For one, there was some actual suspense in the movie. Obviously, the better budget and different director has worked well for the film. The actors playing Edward and Bella have great chemistry and it radiates off the screen. And, honestly, it wasn't as bad as I was expected. It might be because my expectations were quite low after the first film, but I didn't leave feeling it was a complete waste of my time.

And, since there's been so much debate about whether you are Team Edward or Team Jacob, I declare myself Team Charlie. The few scenes he had in the film were all my favorite; I was laughing and thinking how much cuter he'd be if he'd let that mustache of his grow into a full beard. I'm pretty sure I'm the only girl out there who could care less about Jacob taking his shirt off or Edward and his sparkly skin. Seriously, Charlie is the one I'm swooning over.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com