Monday, February 9, 2009

Moving Day Heroes

Today was moving day, something I was not looking at with excitement. I hate moving and everything that goes with it--sweating, sore back, dirty hands, sore shoulders, getting rid of unnecessary things, being humbled that everything you own in this world fits in a 5x5 room. That being said, I also sort of love the satisfaction when it's all done and stored away, and then even the dirt on your hands, the sweat under your arms and the pain in your back all seem to be worth it.

I picked up my U-Haul cargo van at 11:00am. I was a little nervous to drive the big van in the city, but it really wasn't that bad since I got to take the West Side Highway all the way up to nearly my street. Being that I no longer drive everyday, I've become a little wary about driving and my skills; perhaps they atrophy with time and need to be reworked to get strong again. But it was all okay, I did not forget how to signal, brake or turn. And the city streets?--if a double bus can do it, surely I can.

My two helpers for the move were Jeff "Large and in Charge" Hofmann and Stefanie "I Like Marshmallow Mateys" Grassley. These two really came through in the clutch for me, and they are hopefully well rewarded with good karma and blessings for helping me. I tend to think I can do everything and anything by myself and have a hard time relying on other people for help. As much as I would've liked to have been able to do it all by myself, it just wasn't possible. Hopefully I can learn to be more accepting of others' help. Because of this thinking I wasn't too proactive in recruiting people to help me move; Jeff offered to help the previous day, and I cornered Stef at church. Along with thinking I could do it by myself, I also severely underestimated how long it would take to get it all done. I seem to forget that moving in New York is not like moving anywhere else. Every box had to be touched at least four times, from the apartment to the elevator, from the elevator to the lobby, then when everything was out of the apartment and in the lobby, it was all moved to the truck (I was lucky to get a spot right in front). Once it was all in the truck, it then had to be unloaded onto carts, then unloaded from the carts into the storage space. It was quite the workout, and I will forever feel indebted to Jeff and Stef for giving of their time to help little ol' me move. Great friends and great people, and that is why they are my moving day Heroes!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com