Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Park Perks

There are moments when I forget I'm in this crazy city when I'm in Central Park. The park is the place to go for reading, walking, relaxing, eating, running, watching, having a picnic, anything you want to do. And that's even more so when it's summer. Yes, it can feel over-populated at times, but it's generally well worth it.

And that's how it was last night when Stefanie and I and some people from the ward made the trek to the Great Lawn and listened to the New York Philharmonic....for free! It was totally amazing! Stefanie and I got there a little late (I thought it was at Sheep's Meadow, but it clearly wasn't there and we had to trek up to around 81st) and had to try to find our group among the thousands of people there. Well, it's maybe not thousands, but the Great Lawn is huge; it's home to three baseball fields so maybe that gives you some perspective. And we had to find one tiny group in all those people with the only help being that they had a bunch of black, brown and a Happy Birthday balloon to mark them. So we had to snake our way around people and their blankets and food; some people really went all out, bringing small tables with candles and wine and glasses and plates and real food.

This is what we brought...


And man were they good. They almost rivaled the homemade chocolate pudding with whip cream that someone else brought.

Stefanie and I and the group we sat with:


And want to know the coolest part of the night? Yes, the 1812 Overture was pretty cool, as was The Stars and Strips and Purple Haze, but it was nothing compared to the fireworks that were put on display after the concert. I'm no classical music buff but I sure am a fireworks buff, and man did they look cool going off above the park and city! I can't wait for the Fourth!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com