Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Celebrity sightings

Working Saturdays at the Crew pretty much suck. It's never-ending people and complete craziness on the sales floor. You can't fold a shirt without it being demolished a minute later. Needless to say, the perks aren't that great, either. Getting paid is more of a necessary by-product and not really a perk. Knowing about the latest fashions also isn't a perk because one, I don't care or know all the much about fashion and two, it's not like I can afford any of the stuff at J Crew (even with my discount!) So the only perk I can think of is getting to see celebrities in the store. Marky Mark says he's helped Julianne Moore and Sally Field, which is kinda cool.

My first celebrity sighting at the Crew was Abigail Breslin around the holidays. She was shopping with her mother and (I think) grandmother. Not totally "wow" but still cool. Then I saw, and talked to and got a dressing room for, Sarah Paulson. She's been in Jack & Jill and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, but if you have to list what they've been in because people give you that look of "Who's that?" then it's not a very "wow" celebrity.

Next was Jeremy Piven, who had his back turned to me when I walked past him and when I heard him talk I had the thought, "That sounds like Jeremy Piven." And it was!! Am I good or what. One time when I was walking to work from the subway I walked by Seth Green. And just in front of J Crew I saw, and I swear it was him, Daniel Day-Lewis. Me and the guy walking in front of me both had to do a double take and look behind us to make sure it was him. I'm ninety-percent sure it was him.

I've also seen Patrick Dempsey and Al Gore (not at the Crew), Carson Kressly, Kevin Bacon (also not at the Crew), but none of them hold a candle to the celebrity that came into the Crew on Saturday--Julia Roberts. Miss America's Sweetheart, Oscar-winner, mother of three and wife of a cameraman Julia Roberts. The news swept thru the Crew pretty quickly, and when I heard from one of the personal shoppers that she was upstairs I waited anxiously for her to come back down, not sure how I had missed her arrival and her having to walk past the cash registers to get upstairs. And even though it was crazy busy and I was helping people I was determined not to miss her when she walked out.

But I got lucky enough to be working at the register right next to the one she was rang up on. She bought....I'm not even sure; t-shirts and such. Her ring was gorgeous and she looked beautiful--much more so in person than in the movies in my opinion. She wasn't all made up and glam but looked like anybody else shopping on a Saturday. We try really hard to not act all googley and paparazzi-like when celebs come in; no special treatment and no gawking. But this was Julia Roberts and she did get some special treatment--she didn't have to wait in line but got to go right to a register where an associate was quickly found to ring her up. So even though celebrities really are just normal people like me and you who buy clothes and happen to make a ton of money, they are just a little bit different

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com