Sunday, June 18, 2017

Father's Day 2017

It has been at least four years since I have spent Father's Day with my dad. He's lived in Vegas, I've lived in Kansas and Texas. This, year, though, he is also in Texas for some work he is doing. He's in Bay City, which is south of Houston, so we aren't terribly close (one of Texas' claims to fame is that we state distance in hours since one could drive ten hours and still be in Texas). But we are close enough that if we each drive about three miles we can meet in the middle in Austin.

And that's just what we did today! I gave my dad a choice of three different places: tacos, tex-mex, or BBQ. He went with BBQ and we met at Black's BBQ near the UT campus on Guadalupe Street (GoogleMaps refers to it as Guada-loop Street). Our food was delicious and we had a good time talking to each other as he filled me in on his work and me on my work.

We then headed over to the LBG Presidential Library. LBG was president during my dad's early teen years (born in '50, President from '63 to '68). LBG was born in a small Texas town and his first job out of college was as a teacher in a small town. He came from a family of politicians and was a life-long one himself. He was known to get close to people when he talked, sometimes pointing his finger in their face.



There is a 7/8 replica of the Oval Office during his time as President. Unlike at the George W. Bush Library, it was sectioned off so all one can do is look. There was also a replica of Lady Bird Johnson's office when she was First Lady.




We had a nice time and it was great to see my dad. 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com