Monday, September 7, 2015

Texas Roadtrippin'

I satisfied my lust for wander by hitting the road to explore more of Texas. This time I hit up east Texas to experience a flea market, a haunted town, a famous bakery, a museum for Dr. Pepper and a quick Czech Stop.  565 miles and just over a tank of gas.

1. Canton, TX - First Mondays
This is a huge flea market. I didn't super like it. It was rather hot, and everything was just stuff you'd find at any "antique" store (like the one here in Denton on the Square, or on Mass Street). I bought some kettle corn and that was all I needed.



2.  Jefferson, TX
This was my destination for the night. A friend had recommended this to me, and I'm very glad he did. Jefferson feels like it belongs in New Orleans' French Quarter (not that I've ever been there....). My hotel was in the historic district with red, brick streets and beautiful old buildings. I started a Ghost Walking Tour, but had to leave halfway through (long story that I don't feel like typing out). I took a walk along the riverbanks and watched a beautiful sunset.


 I was obsessed with this bridge.

 It was like a scene from Gilmore Girls.

3. Tyler, TX - Rose Garden
The roses were not in bloom. They have a festival that I think is in October, and I imagine it looks beautiful. I still walked around and enjoyed the peacefulness of it.




4. Corsicana, TX - Collin St. Bakery
This bakery has been around since 1896. I went to the "original" downtown location. They are known for their fruitcakes. I did not get a fruitcake, because, well, why? Especially when they have pecan pie. I bought some cookies, bread, danishes and a slice of pecan pie. I then decided I needed a whole pie because pecan pie is just so good. I'll find some people to share it with.



5. Waco, TX - Dr. Pepper Museum
A whole museum dedicated to Dr. Pepper. Great! I can't even remember everything I learned there, but it was all very interesting. I especially liked the change in the logo and different marketing campaigns. Before leaving I stopped by their soda shop and had a Frosty Pepper (essentially a root beer float but with Dr. Pepper instead).





6. West, TX - Czech Stop
The best place to get kolaches in Texas (at least according to some sources). It's a shop off the freeway next to a gas station. And it's busy! I was in line for twenty minutes. I purchased a few kolaches and postcards, which were very hard to find along the trip!


This post is mainly just a rundown. I will have another post with some of the mini-stops and some other thoughts on driving through Texas.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com