Wednesday, March 5, 2014

By My Own Two Feet

Yesterday I had a training/meeting that was in a building downtown. The weather was nice (for March; it was a little cold in the morning but it had warmed up to high 40s by the time 5 o'clock rolled around). I decided to walk, since I live downtown and it was just five blocks down from me. I loved the feeling of my own two feet getting me somewhere. I loved seeing the City and the shops and the people on the street.

When I lived in New York I walked all the time. Obviously. I didn't have a car and the subway was super convenient. The walk from my apartment to the 1 train on 137th St was a measly .21 miles. I made this walk whenever I wanted to get anywhere in the city. More walking was usually required when I got to the end of the line, as well, to make it to my final destination. I did it in the rain, heat, snow, wind. There was no other option.

Now I have a car. I live very close to both my jobs. In fact I mapped it on GoogleEarth--0.34 miles to Topeka Metro and .64 miles to the City. Measly, right?! But I never walk or ride my bike! How lame is that. Today though, after my pleasant and awesome walk the day before, I decided to walk to work. I can literally stand at the alley-way between Kansas and Jackson and see where I work.


The walk was awesome. I'm going to try to make this a weekly habit. At least on the days I don't have to go somewhere on my lunch or right after work. And probably not on the days it is snowing or raining. Luckily, though, we're supposed to have excellent weather this week.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com