Monday, October 8, 2012

Riding the Bus

There are a lot of things you get from taking transit that you just don't get with a car. Being a car is so individualizing and cuts you off from other people and the world. It's hard to appreciate your surroundings when you have to focus on the road and the car in front of you and shifting and all that. One of the things I loved about living in New York was that we all rode the subway and it unified us in a way that driving a single occupancy vehicle just can't.

I took the 209 bus today to Sugarhouse to check out (finally) The Dark Knight Rises at the dollar theater (this will more than likely get a lengthy post shortly). I walked four blocks thru my neighborhood to the bus stop. I then read while on the bus. I then walked a couple blocks along the streets of Sugarhouse to the movie theater. It was lovely and perfect. While waiting for the bus to go home, I helped a nice girl figure out where she was going on the bus. Lots of times I can get annoyed with people talking to me, but I feel like at this moment I was meant to help her. I've been stuck a lot on myself lately, worrying about me, me, me, and I'm thankful for this small moment where I felt like I could be of help to someone.

Today I had a meeting with my advisors for my Professional Project, and it was very cool to just talk about transit and providing services for people and feel like I could really be a part of something great happening.

We should all take transit a little more. I'm a transit nerd, and I'm okay with that.

2 comments:

pambelina said...

If only transit were a bit more kid-friendly. Every time I take the boys on Trax, thinking they'll love it, it turns into a nightmare! That being said, I love riding transit. My favorite was my commute from the U to Lehi. I had a chance to read and write and it was wonderful!

Just Julie said...

Good point, Pammy! I never even thought about taking kids and how different it would be. I love reading on the bus/train--it's a great way to spend time that would normally be wasted.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com