Sunday, July 8, 2012

Last Day

Friday was my last day at Myriad Genetics. I started there almost three years ago as a temp on a month assignment. I had only temped once before when I first moved to New York, but when I had returned to Salt Lake and was jobless after almost four months I was willing to take anything. The month assignment kept getting extended and extended, but without an official offer of a job. When I had reached my end, knowing that I needed to work where I was an employee and could get benefits and holiday pay and all that, my boss offered me a permanent position.

It's hard leaving a place where you are comfortable. I very quickly, after various people had transferred or went on maternity leave, became the senior person in the department. I was recognized as an expert and go-to person for questions and problems. After various projects, I was given more autonomy over projects that allowed me to work with various important individuals and departments in the company. I remember wondering if I'd ever have the knowledge my co-workers had when I started, and then one day it was just there.

Now I'm moving on, where my knowledge is useless and I will be the new person. I won't know the answers or who to even ask. I'm very excited to start my internship with Bountiful City, but am a little nervous for the change. I'm the type of person who does not change jobs frequently because I like being comfortable--I worked at Wendy's starting in High School and worked for them for about five years total, I worked at Walmart while an undergrad for almost three and a half years, in New York I worked at J. Crew for over a year, and now Myriad for almost three years.

Change is scary for me, but it must be done to move forward. I'll always appreciate my time at Myriad, and love that my co-workers had an ice cream party for me for my last day.

1 comments:

Andrew and Gina said...

We just moved to Bountiful. We bought a house here. You should come visit, since it sounds like you'll be near by once and a while.

Joe Johnson, the mayor, is in our ward. Fun stuff.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com