Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Norway Musings

I spent Christmas in Oslo. I had thought about traveling abroad over Christmas ever since my friend Jessica had planned a trip to Estonia over Thanksgiving. I can't remember why or how I settled on Oslo, but I'm so glad I did because I loved it.

When I started reading blogs and such about what to do in Oslo, lots of people stated that Oslo was an ugly, boring city that should be skipped. Especially at Christmastime because Norwegians take their Christmas seriously and everything would be closed for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Second Christmas Day (Boxing Day), and maybe even more.

Everything WAS closed while I was there. I arrived the evening of Christmas Eve and, while people did start coming out Christmas Day night and on the 26th, lots of stores and such were closed until the 27th (some even closed all the way until the new year!). It wasn't until the morning of the 27th that it seemed like people were out going to work; the garbage trucks were out!

Regardless, I had a great time. What I enjoy about experiencing new cities is just walking and getting a feel for it. I like trying to get a sense of what it is like for the people who live there. How do they get to work? Where do they grocery shop? How do they meet up with friends? 

Most everyone in Norway speaks English. I asked a girl at a travel shop about this, and she said that most Norwegians learn english while in elementary school; while Norwegian is their language, she said it's not super useful when traveling abroad because no one else speaks it! Everyone was helpful and kind, but they aren't overtly kind - they'll keep to their business but are quick to be helpful when needed. 

Merry Christmas in Norwegian is God Jul. It's a wonderful time to be in Norway! Christmas is important, but Norway is kind of secular so there didn't seem to be over-concern about keeping the religious part of Christmas intact. Their decorations are understated, and lights are very important since it's dark a big chunk of the time. The biggest decoration is lighted stars in the window - they were EVERYWHERE and I was obsessed. The standard was yellow/white lights, with nary a multi-colored string in sight. It all makes for a lovely aesthetic.



Everyone keeps their window blinds open. This was especially noticeable in Tromso as we took a fjord tour. Our guide explained that since Norway lacks density, the windows are left open and lights on for anyone that would be out in the woods and needed help. This seemed to translate to Oslo as well, and I am a big fan of the custom. I think I'd fit right in in Norway. As I look out at the apartment windows across from me all of the blinds are closed. I bought a lighted start that I put in my window that is shining bright for all to see. 

Since Oslo is so far north, the sun doesn't shine much in the winter. It rose around 9:30 in the morning, but it never rose above the horizon before setting in almost the same place around 4:00 p.m. It'd be completely dark by five, which really messed with my internal clock!

The biggest negative of Norway is that they do not have Dr. Pepper. Coke and Pepsi, a smattering of Mt. Dew and an orange drink called Solo are what's available. While I would love to live there, I'd have to think long and hard about not having Dr. Pepper (which I don't even drink that often, but it's my go-to when I have a headache and it's really the only carbonated drink I drink).

I'd go back in a heartbeat, and would really love to see it during summer and rent a car to drive along the coast. I'm hoping to post separately about specific things I did while there, so stay tuned. 


0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com