Sunday, March 18, 2018

Love Panther

I saw two movies this past week. They were very different movies, and I really liked one and was just "eh" about the other.

On Tuesday, giving in to the hype, I finally sat down in a theater to watch Black Panther. I had delayed seeing it because I am really superhero'd out. The MCU has just gotten so big that I don't really care very much about ALL the characters anymore. Black Panther didn't change my mind. I get the cultural significance (just like Wonder Woman, which I was also underwhelmed by), but it never came together for me. I was bored, because all the MCU movies feel the same, and I just can't get excited about another fight between two CGI figures or a car chase through a city (I actually fell asleep during the car chase). I thought Chadwick Boseman gave a lifeless and uninspired performance as T'Challa, and I felt no chemistry between him and Lupita Nyong'o.

Today I went to see the high school rom-com Love Simon and I loved it so much. I cared about every single one of the characters. Nick Robinson, as high schooler Simon deciding how and when to come out to his family, friends, and community, gives a truly lovely and standout performance. When Simon sees how those around him react to gay people, incuding his father, it opened my eyes to how terrifying it can be for a person to come out.

I was incredibly moved - I laughed and cried. It was a perfect high school coming-of-age story and I hope everyone goes to see it. Because love is love is love is love is love....


0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com