Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Remembering the Helmet Rules for Correct Size

Today I was out at an elementary school giving a biking and walking safety presentation. I was asked to cover the entire school, which meant giving a presentation to each grade level. This can be a bit tricky for me, as speaking to fifth graders is not quite the same as speaking to kindergartners or first graders. I have to mix it up on the fly sometimes, especially when I start losing the kids' attention spans (this generally happens for the classes I see after lunch).

Today one little boy came up to me after my presentation and told me he was afraid he would forget what I taught him about making sure a helmet fits correctly. So I showed him. But he was still concerned he'd forget. His teacher said he could probably ask his friends and they'd help him. But he was still concerned he'd forget. At this point he was crying. His art teacher made a drawing of the two rules of helmet sizing. But he was still concerned he'd forget. He was still crying. I typed out the rules, just like I had told them during the presentation. That seemed to quell his concerns and stopped his tears.

No one has ever been that concerned about remembering something I told them.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com