Sunday, April 6, 2014

Captain America

When my sister and I were prepping two years ago to see The Avengers, we made a plan to see most of the individual superhero movies to be prepared. On Mother's Day we rented Thor from RedBox and watched it with my mom. One weekend we rented The Incredible Hulk. Another weekend we rented Captain America: The First Avenger. This one was actually the only superhero movie I was not entirely enthused about seeing. While watching it I fell asleep. Neither my sister or I were taken with the film. However, I enjoyed Cap in The Avengers, as I felt his character worked better in smaller doses (and possibly, also, in the present time?).

So I wasn't planning on seeing Captain America: Winter Soldier any time soon, let alone on opening weekend. But since I like spending time with the friend who invited me I decided to go with it. And I was pleasantly surprised. (All of the preceding sentences start with a conjunction; I should probably work on fixing that....)

The movie was a little slow in getting exciting and piquing my interest, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since it eventually did. Captain America still isn't my favorite superhero (I'm not even sure who my favorite superhero is...) but I least like him enough. I liked the interplay between him and Black Widow and am glad they aren't pushing a romance between them. I really liked his friend who works at the VA and later becomes integral to their mission. I liked Robert Redford, who has a really nice head of hair, in his duplicitous role.

What I didn't like: the scene where Nick Fury is attacked in his car. It went on for way too long.

There were moments when I was genuinely shocked and truly engaged in the story. Way to go Cap, for becoming interesting (at least to me; I know lots of people, including my 9 yr old nephew, love Cap). I suppose it is sort of nice to have a superhero who isn't racked with torment or guilt or has major issues like Batman (and the recent Superman). Maybe I should love that he's so wholesome and square.

Just came across this article from EW about the movie, it's pretty interesting: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/04/06/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-hydra-shield-paranoia/

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com