Saturday, June 27, 2009

If We Have Time We Can See the Sphinx

I have been enjoying the fruits of community theater labor lately. Last night my oh-so-fabulous cousin, Phaedra, took Em and I to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at South Jordan Middle School (a place that was so cool inside with an impressive wall display of art and documents from the Revolutionary War--I kinda wished I went to school there!) I'll admit that I've always been a little averse to Joseph... because I've always, rather foolishly, associated it with Donny Osmond. Thankfully Phaedra knows better.

The show was, for lack of a better word, amazing. It's non-stop music from beginning to end, because when the songs are that good and fun you don't have time to trifle with dialogue. Would you expect anything less from the man who also wrote the music for Phantom of the Opera? I don't need to explain the plot to you, as most of you are familiar with it (for those not, it's based on the Bible--Jacob had twelve sons, loved Joseph the most, his brothers were jealous, sold him into slavery, Joseph becomes Pharoah's right-hand man, the brothers come to him for help, all is good again). The plot is almost inconsequential, though, and is just a means to get us into the next music number. No complaints here though.

All the different musical genres in the show was amazing. The costumes were all amazing. The set was amazing. The actors were amazing singers. I give it a a very enthusiastic thumbs up.

1 comments:

jeff said...

"Joseph" with Donny is amazing! It's the only way I think of it too, but that's a good--no, a great thing. It's my favorite musical.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com