Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Movies

It's been a tough year for movies. At least in my opinion. Normally at Christmas time there a ton of movies I want to see and I have to make an actual decision about what movie to see on Christmas Day. This year it was a choice between movies that I was indifferent about. We settled on Mission Impossible 3: Ghost Protocol, mainly because I liked the third one so much and J.J. Abrams, while not directing this one, produced it and he always does great stuff. The movie was sort of interesting, but it felt looooong and Tom Cruise was looking old but trying to not look old. I would rather watch a movie where Jeremy Renner was taking over for Tom Cruise.

Thursday I saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and was not entirely engaged with it like I was the book. While sometimes the book had too much detail (a whole page was dedicated to listing the titles of books on a book shelf) I felt the movie missed a lot of finer points. And yet the movie felt long. Maybe I preferred being able to formulate the images in my head (or not in some instances) but the movie produced actual images for me to cringe at (that dead cat nearly did me in).

Looking back on the year, I haven't had very many movie posts. Maybe it's just because I was busy with school and therefore saw less movies and blogged less as well. But if a movie is awesome I make time to blog about it. With that being said, I think my favorite movie of 2011 was Super 8, followed by Moneyball, and then possibly The Debt. Like I said, it was a bad year for movies for me.

For now, I'm looking forward to 2012 for The Hunger Games and The Lucky One.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you see/read The Help? ... it's pretty fantastic.

pambelina said...

I am looking forward to Mirror, Mirror! If nothing else, the costumes will be fabulous.

Just Julie said...

Good choice, Pammy! I had to look it up at IMDB because I didn't realize they had named it that!

I read and saw The Help. Loved the book, liked the movie.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com