Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday and April's Fools

Today is Good Friday. It also marks my first holiday being a permanent employee at Myriad Genetics (oh, didn't you know, I finally got hired on as real employee? My bad...that post to come) which means I got paid to sleep in, go shopping, and see a movie today. Pretty much awesome. (Also awesome--the actual meaning of Good Friday; not that Christ was crucified, but that that led to the Resurrection, which is why we celebrate Easter)

This time of year I always reflect on things past. While yesterday was a day marked with memories, it wasn't all that bad. For many people, even those close to me, it was just a day. I tried to make it that way for myself, too. Birthdays and holidays and anniversaries are only important days because we give meaning to them; they're not inherently meaningful. April 3rd is meaningful because my niece was born that day nine years ago. April 24th is meaningful because twenty-seven years ago I was born that day. These days only carry meaning for my family and friends--to the rest of the world they're just days. So that's how I tried to make April 1st. Just a day on the calendar, that is meant to mark April Fools', and not April's Fools.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com