Tuesday, October 21, 2008

All Lit Up

One of the great things about working where I do--right on Fifth Avenue--is that every night when I leave the Crew I get to see the Empire State Building lit up in all its glory. There was a time, not long ago, when I had actually gotten over the thrill of seeing the Empire State Building; I guess I had become a hardened Noo Yawker. But recently, with it getting darker earlier, I've once again become enamored with the World's Once Tallest Building.

The Building has been lit up a different color every night this week. Last night it was orange, the night before it was purple, before that it was white. When it was election day in February it was lit up red and blue. It was lit up in yellow when The Simpson's DVD was released. And of course for Christmas it's lit up in green and red. But with further investigation, I learned that the colors actually stand for something and usually coincide with some sort of cause or event. You can read about the lighting schedule here. It really is quite amazing.

This is what it looked like last night when it was lit up in orange (not for Halloween, but for the NYC Food Bank). I know it doesn't quite look like it's orange, but the photo doesn't do it justice--it always looks amazing.


I stood in the middle of the street to take this picture.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com